In 1968, alumni from the Class of 1923 formed the group "Friends of Pennsylvania Hockey," led by Howard Butcher, III. Butcher himself donated over $3 million for the creation of the facility, and along with John Cleveland and Bill R. Wise, organized the largest class donation in the history of the university. The arena was named after the class to commemorate its generosity.

Made primarily of poured concrete, the 60,000 square foot arena is supported by 32 forty foot concrete columns around the exterior of the facility. The lower concourse includes eight locker rooms, vending area, the Quaker Room overlooking the ice surface, the Independence Room, and skate rental room. The ice surface itself is 85'x 200' with rounded corners and totals 16,330 square feet. The upper concourse includes two restrooms and two concession stands and two entrances on Walnut Street, which completes the building's professional feel. Designed by Robert C. McMillian Associates, this building was a benchmark in ice rink design.

Staff

Rob Harkins
                           Rob Harkins

    Rob Harkins, CIRM
    Director Business Services
    Ice Rink Manager
    Office: 215-898-1575
    Cell: 302-249-6100
    harkinsr@upenn.edu 

 

 

William Richards
                 William Richards

   William Richards, CIT
   Assistant Manager
   Office: 215-898-1923
   Cell: 610-674-2674
   wric@upenn.edu 

 

   

 

Mike Petrocelli
                  Mike Petrocelli

   Mike Petrocelli
   Operations Manager
   Office: 215-898-1923
   Cell: 610-416-3649
   mpetroc@upenn.edu

 

 

 

   

​ Katherine Quintero​   ​
             Katherine Quintero

   Katherine Quintero
   Learn-To-Skate Director
   Katquin@upenn.edu